The Sargent House
This house at 118 South River Road is probably one of the original 20 or 30 homes in Waterville. It has braced-frame construction of hand-hewn oak beams and rafters held together with wooden pegs. All modern additions, including utilities and some walls, have been removed to expose the structural elements. Old tools, pioneer occupations and Native American items are exhibited. Edward Sargent built the house ca. 1840 as a home and his Justice of the Peace office. An 1850 census shows his wife named Rowena, son Frederick and daughter Rowena. A list of 16 weddings he performed is displayed.